Topics for Consideration

     When I originally considered this topic, I was going to discuss the Nazca lines. Being Peruvian and having grown up learning about them from my dad, I naturally gravitated towards this topic. I was going to analyze the different theories concerning the Nazca lines and how they came to be. It has been widely debated whether aliens had created these mysterious geoglyphs in Peru and the mystery still continues to this day. 




    After contemplating the Nazca lines myth, I considered how many other world wide creations were possibly made by aliens as well. 6 other ancient sites that I researched that were speculated to be created by aliens are Stonehenge, Easter Island, The Face on Mars, Egyptian pyramids, Sacsayhuaman, Teotihuacan. These all captured my attention considering some of them are part of the 7 wonders of the world. As I explore this topic further and consider the potential explanations to how these ruins were created and why, I will also discuss how these creations are potentially linked to extraterrestrial life. 





Comments

  1. I think the Nazca Lines would make a very worthy topic all on their own, especially given your personal interest in them. I don't think you should try to discuss the wide range of other relics that you mention, and which, like the Nazca lines, were connected, in the book Chariots of the Gods, to the belief that they had something to do with UFOs and extraterrestrial visitors. Most scholars today think it really underestimates the amazing knowledge and skill of these native people to assume that they could not have created these structures on their own. While I would encourage you to do your own investigation, I was very impressed by the idea of David Johnson's that the lines represent a 1:1 "map" of the key underground water resources of this desert region. You can learn more about that from several online sources, which I will detail in a second comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnson's website is worth checking out, and it contains some great photos that might be useful in your presentation:
    http://dwjohnsonglobal.com/books-2/nasca-lines/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should probably look for other academic articles by Johnson and his collaborators, or by others who have followed their lead, using the Rutgers libraries site. But the material above, which includes bibliographies of their own that will lead you to sources, should be a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason, one of my comments keeps getting erased. Here is one article by Johnson and his collaborators that might lead you to more:
    "The Correlation Between Geoglyphs and Subterranean Water Resources in the Río Grande de Nazca Drainage" by David W. Johnson, Donald A. Proulx, and Stephen B. Mabee.
    Also check out these great profiles of Johnson:
    https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-1999-05-06-3252711-story.html
    https://people.umass.edu/~proulx/Nasca_Lines_Project.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Google keeps erasing my comments. I guess they think I am spamming your blog, which maybe I am! :-) But one of my first comments, which got erased, is that you should watch this documentary on Crop Circles and the Nazca Lines. I personally do not think the two are connected, but the documentary covers lots of interesting things about the Nazca lines, and starting at 40 minutes they have an extended interview with David Johnson:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf9fLuaHvZQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. One last thing: I was trying to remember the title of a story about a 1:1 map: Jorge Luis Borges's "On Exactitude in Science." It is really sort of a joke about a 1:1 map. But I found a blog post where someone ha collected lots of funny stories or statements about 1:1 maps, like the 1:1 map of water resources that the Nazca Lines represent:
    http://3stages.org/c/gq.cgi?first=QAMAP
    Worth mentioning if you pursue this topic (which, you can see, I really hope you do).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Scouting the Territory

Updated Research Proposal